Focusing on both talent development and the needs of students already demonstrating high achievement is the core of what we do. This is anchored in the belief that recognizing, supporting and developing academic talent within our diverse school communities is the responsibility of our school district. We work to reduce barriers to access and opportunity to ensure the equitable reach of Advanced Learning services.
Each elementary and middle school is assigned a half-time Advanced Learning Specialist. Their role includes partnering with teachers and other school staff to guide Advanced Learning implementation, as well as providing direct support to students. At our high schools, the Advanced Learning Director works with principals, counselors and teachers to address Advanced Learning needs. The Advanced Learning Plan below defines Advanced Learning, provides guidance for how to identify Advanced Learners, and outlines strategies for supporting students with Advanced Learning needs.
Advanced Learning Plan (approved 4.30.2018)
More about our role in the schools
- We assist all schools in identifying student talent and potential. This is done by reviewing multiple data points with teacher teams, observing students, connecting with families, and making recommendations for classroom placement and instructional grouping.
- We provide expertise in both content and methods, enabling schools to provide advanced instruction and comprehensive student supports.
- We prepare students to access advanced academics by helping them to grow their academic skills at every grade level.
- We help every school community to challenge misperceptions about talent and potential that are based on income level, race, ethnicity, language background and/or disability.
- We work with schools to provide structured guidance for the social-emotional health of advanced learners who are bright, hardworking, and/or Gifted. These students can have issues with anxiety, perfectionism, intensity of emotions, peer relationships, underachievement, and concerns with identity and finding a place to fit in.